I don’t do New Year’s resolutions anymore. They inevitably are broken and then you’re left feeling shitty and hollow at the end of the next year because you don’t accomplish anything that you had set out to do. You look at the list at the end of the year and think ‘Well, fuck it. I’ll try again next year.’
So no, there are no New Year’s resolutions for me. Instead, I have chosen a list of ten goals that I have for myself for 2016 that I will try to not only complete but then take them and improve upon them.
My 2016 Goals
1. Finally get into shape. I am the laziest sack of shit on the face of the planet and I have progressively watched my waistline grow while my energy level has shrunken. Getting into shape has goals within the goals. I am aiming to go to the gym three times a week at minimum and to run a 5k, a 10k, a half marathon, and a full marathon by the end of 2016.
2. Learn how to eat better. My eating habits are pretty shitty too and in order for me to get into better shape, I will need to fuel my body better to accomplish these goals. I’m planning a Whole30/Atkins combo for a little while to try to lose some weight and we’ll see how it works.
3. Spend more time with my loved ones. I want to truly disconnect some days and go on random adventures with my husband throughout the state. I want to have more dinner dates and field trips with my friends. I want to spend more quality time with my family.
4. Get my spending in check, make (and stick) to a budget, and save more money. My husband and I want to buy a house soon and saving money is a big step so I’m finding ways to save money and earn extra cash through apps and things.
5. Become better at my day job. I’ve officially been with my company for five years and I want to keep finding ways to make myself an awesome employee. I want to take Photoshop classes and find new ways to learn about how to make myself more efficient and productive at my job.
6. Become more organized at home and at work. I want to start making lists to keep my house clean and clutter free, keep my chores on a set schedule, and to make a routine for myself.
7. Take up a new hobby. I’m not exactly sure what yet but I’d like to see what’s out there. Cooking classes, underwater basket weaving, crocheting? We will see what strikes my fancy.
8. Reconnect with people. Everything is so technology driven nowadays that I want to make sure we don’t all get swept up in it all the time. I want to handwrite letters and postcards with people, I want to share laughter and stories over coffee instead of text messaging.
9. Take better care of myself. I want to feel good about myself. I want to wear clothes that fit me better and do my hair and makeup in the morning for myself so I feel like I’m presenting the best version of me. I get so lazy and set in my ways and I want to pamper myself more and have that confidence back.
10. Read more. Simple and sweet. I’ve fallen away from my favorite hobby and this bothers me. I’m aiming for one book a month at minimum.
So there it is in writing. My ten goals for 2016. This should be simple enough. Check back at the end of the year to see how I did.
What are your goals for the new year?
P.S. Here’s a picture if you read this all.